Friday, August 17, 2012

Pride.

Something caught my attention today, they are lines from the book Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.

'It may perhaps be pleasant to be able to impose on the public in such a case; but it is sometimes a disadvantage to be so very guarded. If a woman conceals her affection with the same skill from the object of it, she may lose the opportunity of fixing him.'

'We can all begin freely--a slight preference is natural enough, but there are very few of us who have the heart enough to be really in love without encouragement.'

Is it true? I don't buy it, actually. I had been one of the boldest girls that day, and nothing good came from it. I was the losing party. Still am.
The lines somehow reminded me how foolishly truthful I was with my words from the heart and mind. There was no encouragement at all on my part. But I jumped into the abyss anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment